From Larry Dablemont
To Mr. Jason Sumner,
Director-Missouri Department of Conservation
Last October a 17-year-old boy by the name of Ray DeAngelo was bow hunting when he shot a buck with huge 17-point antlers. He started trailing the deer with his father Joe and didn’t find it until late that night. He couldn’t use his phone because he had no signal there deep in the woods. So it was about 10:30 when he called it in and if it had been a small buck I believe he would have never been bothered. But it wasn’t, it had many points on big antlers that were valuable, and that attracted the local game warden, Clare Burch. She showed up about midnight at their home and walked into their workshop with no search warrant, and without permission, where they had been cleaning the deer and had put the meat in a small freezer.
Again, without a search warrant she opened the freezer, and took all the meat and then took the head and antlers. She justified the confiscation because she said the law requires a deer hunter to call in a kill by 10 p.m. and he was a half hour late. There is much more to this story, regarding the extreme behavior of the agent, who should be fired because she violated search and seizure laws and policies of your own department. But in talking to people in your department who know her I have been told that she sold Ray DeAngelo’s deer head and antlers for her own profit.
I believe that within a period of time I can prove this happened. If I am wrong, just tell me where the head and antlers are now and I will apologize in my newspaper column and magazine for misjudging your agent and calling her a thief. I have talked to your chief of enforcement several times about this. He has said he will not longer discuss because we can all find out what happened to that deer meat and antlers by getting on the Internet. That is not true… nothing on the Internet tells where that deer went after Agent Burch took it.
I know you are likely not familiar with what your agents do, few people are. MDC money keeps everything your department does out of the television, radio and newspapers of this state. I have proof of that also from several people in the news media. You have told me you are not concerned with the past accounts I have told you about, but I have seen first hand what they do to many innocent people in the Ozarks and have written about it.
I know your department controls the thinking of city people by keeping the truth from them, but the people who live in rural areas do not have a high opinion of the MDC. The answer they all give me is, “They only care about money, not people and not fish and wildlife!”
I have had four different agents come to my home trying to discredit me and what I write. One, who was a supervisor, was insistent I had killed an illegal deer and he stood on my porch and used God’s name in vain, calling me a “G__damned liar.” He was mad because one of my newspaper columns had revealed something I saw him do that he didn’t want done.
Next year I hope to finish a book which describes what they have done to innocent people in our state over the past 20 years and the declines in fish and wildlife and resources in that time. It will include what retiring MDC have told me. One of them resigned because he was told to lie in court to help nail a man his supervisor had a personal grudge against.
All of this happens because no agent has to worry about being accountable for what he or she has done. No one can get justice after being falsely accused and what is happening cannot even be told to the public except through what I write. I am asking for some agent accountability, and it should start with the firing of agent Burch. I will be glad to publish her answer or your answer to this.
Everyone, including you, knows that the deer antlers that were a once-in-a lifetime trophy for a 17-year- old kid, put money in an MDC employee’s pocket and this is not the first time it has happened. I have proof that other agents have done this, and we will start putting those incidents in future issues of this magazine. The same thing has happened many times and will happen again soon as the huge bearskin taken two years ago by a 13-year-old boy, which I have been told is now in an MDC freezer, will be sold or given to Bass Pro Shops. If I am wrong about the bear-skin or the deer head, I will print an apology in this magazine and in my newspaper columns. I await your written response. Where are those antlers now? I want to be shown, not told.
No comments:
Post a Comment